Monday, October 5, 2009

Baptists and Shakespeare

So Josh was randomly going around town practicing his photography one day and stopped at the local Baptist church to take pictures of pretty flowers. Anyway, the pastor (minister? Um, I don't know my terminology very well) who lives there came out to see what he was doing and naturally, being the expert at talking to strangers, they became friends and the pastor's wife invited us over for dinner.

So we went this past Friday and I got to meet their whole family and it was a lot of fun. They just barely moved here from Kentucky so they are newcomers like us. They were some of the kindest and gentlest people I've ever met and the food was simple and delicious. (We had pork chops with apricot sauce, an onion and potato casserole, tomatoes, and angel food cake with whipped cream and blueberry topping. Mmm!) They had three teenage children who were incredibly polite, the oldest girl being really interested in photography, like Josh. We had a lot of fun discussing what we thought of things like homeschooling, midwifery, etc.

Afterwards Josh and I went on a date to go see MacBeth, our first Shakespeare play since moving to the city of the Shakespeare festival! We could actually afford to go to this one because it was produced by students rather than professionals, and Josh could get in free with his student ID. While we were waiting for it to start, Josh took advantage of the light to take some pictures of me. I was not a very willing model and you can tell in a lot of the pictures that I felt really nauseous, but despite all that the pictures turned out pretty good.You can see more at his new photography blog here.

ANYWAY Josh's old guitar teacher, Richard Dixon, was there to see his daughter perform as Witch #3 so we sat next to him. The play itself was pretty good but I imagine it's probably a lot better with a bunch of old, gruff men instead of the skinny youngsters who performed (seriously, all the actors were insanely skinny. Does the theater department ever eat?) but I applaud their effort and enjoyed the show despite the incredibly uncomfortable hard chairs.

I wish I had more pictures of the stuff we did but we haven't really gotten used to whipping out the camera for everything yet. Sorry.

No comments: